Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
The Master of Divinity degree program equips men and women to engage in Gospel-centered leadership roles, such as pastoral ministry, chaplaincy, teaching, and missions. As the Master of Divinity is the most recognizable seminary degree in the United States, it presents graduates with the greatest number of open doors for church and parachurch ministry opportunities and serves as a requirement for ordination for some Christian denominations. Master of Divinity training is often a requirement for admission to doctoral programs that focus on ministry or theology.
EARN A DEGREE
...In as few as three years
Yes60 credits online,
30 credits via
What Sets Western Seminary's Divinity Training Apart?
- An emphasis on Gospel-centrality for spiritual formation, theological understanding, and ministry practice
- Students create their own statement of faith, rather than adopting the seminary’s doctrinal position
- Four semesters of Mentored Field Ministry, experiencing challenge and success in serving real people under the supervision of an seasoned ministry practitioner
- Specialized training in Hebrew and Greek languages through one of two tracks:
- Traditional to acquire full comprehension of the language
- Functional to utilize software tools to aid in translation and exegesis
- Visit either Israel or Greece and Turkey on faculty-led study tours for elective credit
- Earn up to 12 credits for concurrent studies with ReTrain (Resurgence Training Center)
The Master of Divinity may be completed in three years’ time through conventional courses on any of our campuses. Students who live at a distance may also complete their training without the need to relocate or leave their ministry context through the following scheduling options, though their completion timeframe may be extended:
|Monday Track||Complete your M.Div. training in one day of class on campus per week.|
|In-Ministry Track||Combine 60 credits of online learning with 8 weeklong trips to campus for live courses.|
|Online Courses||Take up to 60 credits online with support from course mentors. Choose from 80 courses in any semester.|
M.Div. Admission Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited undergraduate institution
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A completed application for admission and all admissions materials
If an applicant does not have a bachelor's degree or does not meet one of the requirements above, we invite them to contact an enrollment counselor to explore alternative M.Div. admission requirements.