The Doctor of Missiology (D.Miss.) is an advanced professional degree, designed to equip Christian
leaders and missions workers for increased skill and effectiveness while serving in pluralistic
and multi-ethnic contexts. This in-service program is designed for ministers who are already involved
in cross-cultural work, so that professors and colleagues from around the world can connect at interactive
class modules with a minimum of interruption to life. The training culminates in the research, writing,
and defense of a dissertation that explores a major topic of mission and how the student can advance
What makes the Western Seminary Doctor of Missiology unique?
- Visiting and resident faculty are actively engaged in cross-cultural ministry around
the world, bringing current findings and experiences into the classroom.
- A non-residential program configuration means students can complete their training
with minimal travel to the Portland campus…and no need to move away from home.
- Students may specialize the focus of their training by choosing electives from our
Master of Theology (Th.M.) or Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) programs.
Doctor of Missiology Curriculumm
View courses and course descriptions
The Doctor of Missiology program may be completed in two years’ time by enrolling in one
or two week-long intensive seminars offered at the Portland campuses. This unique scheduling design
means students can complete their studies without leaving family, career, or ministry behind. This
level of academic research will require that students have ready access to a theological library
in their region.
- A Master of Divinity degree or master’s degree in theology or missiology from
a regionally accredited institution
cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- At least two years of ministry experience (preferably with an orientation to intercultural
outreach), and continuing ministry involvement
- A completed application for admission
and all admissions materials
If an applicant does not meet one of these requirements, we invite them to contact an enrollment
counselor to explore alternative admission options.
“Western Seminary provides relevant content that is applied
your ministry experience. ”