The Master of Divinity degree program equips men and women to engage in Gospel-centered leadership roles, such as pastoral ministry, chaplaincy, teaching, and missions. As the Master of Divinity is the most recognizable seminary degree in the United States, it presents graduates with the greatest number of open doors for church and parachurch ministry opportunities and serves as a requirement for ordination for some Christian denominations. Master of Divinity training is often a requirement for admission to doctoral programs that focus on ministry or theology.
EARN A DEGREE
...In as few as three years
Yes60 credits online,
30 credits via
What Sets Our M.Div. Training Apart?
- An emphasis on Gospel-centrality for spiritual formation, theological understanding, and ministry practice
- Students create a statement of faith rather than adopting the seminary’s doctrinal position
- Four semesters of Mentored Field Ministry, experiencing challenge and success in serving real people under the supervision of an seasoned ministry practitioner
- Specialized training in Hebrew and Greek languages through one of two tracks:
- Traditional to acquire full comprehension of the language
- Functional to utilize software tools to aid in translation and exegesis
- Visit either Israel or Greece and Turkey on faculty-led study tours for elective credit
- Recent high school grads may complete a B.A. and M.Div in 5 years through the Kairos Accelerated Master of Divinity
The Master of Divinity may be completed in three years’ time through conventional courses on any of our campuses in Oregon and Northern California, or by completing some studies at Seattle Teaching Site in addition to final studies at any degree-granting campus. Students who live at a distance may also complete their training without the need to relocate or leave their ministry context through the following scheduling options, though their completion timeframe may be extended:
|Monday Track||Complete your M.Div. training in one day of class on campus per week.|
|In-Ministry Track||Combine 60 credits of online learning with 8 weeklong trips to campus for live courses.|
|Online Courses||Take up to 60 credits online with support from course mentors. Choose from 80 courses in any semester.|
Theological Education That Keeps Debt Down
Ministry work can bring limited financial reward. That's why we encourage wise financial stewardship as you pay for school. In fact, the average Western Seminary student graduates with an suprisingly low average of only $8532 in loan debt to repay. It might surprise you to learn that only about 19% of our students utilize loans, choosing instead to paying out of pocket, with scholarships, or via a monthly payment plan. Look into your options for financial aid.
M.Div. Admission Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited undergraduate institution
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A completed application for admission and all admissions materials
If an applicant does not have a bachelor's degree or does not meet one of the requirements above, we invite them to contact an enrollment counselor to explore alternative M.Div. admission requirements.