Online MABTS Technology Pre-Assessment
NOTE: This pre-assessment requires that you have first received access to the system
The online MABTS is a technology-mediated program. That means we use advanced communications and educational technologies to connect you, as a student, to other students and to the rich instructional resources of Western Seminary.
Technologies are woven into the very fabric of the degree design. It is impossible to succeed in the program unless you possess specific tools and competencies that once acquired and once learned will become the necessary but soon-transparent connective tissue of your learning.
We require, therefore, that students who are seriously considering the online MABTS demonstrate their ability to function effectively in this new environment. Rather than simply posing a series of questions, we will be asking that you perform the same functions that will be required of you as a student. Once successfully completed, you will then already be set to take your first courses online.
Our purpose is not to create an obstacle that determines whether or not you will be admitted to the program. Rather, our desire is to identify areas that need to be addressed prior to admission to promote success and to relieve the stress of having to engage new technologies while also trying to focus on your program studies.
So here is what we will ask you to do:
- Click on the red NEXT STEP button at the bottom of this page to watch a brief video by Online Campus Executive Dean Jim Stewart that introduces the program and evidences the fact that you are able to watch help and other videos on our online campus student website.
- Click on the Next Video button at the bottom of the page to have our technology guru, Blake Kidney, introduce you to our course download program Integr@te. Then follow the provided link to download and install Integr@te.
Following Integr@te Installation - From the Desktop
After logging in using the username and password provided in your recent email, click on the Courses tab to download the two session “course” in the same manner as you will soon install your program courses.
Watch the videos provided in the demo course. These will introduce you to several of the people in the online program with whom you will regularly interact, and provide a brief introduction to the Internet portion of our program, our Online Learning Centers.
Now to the Assessment Learning Center - On The Web
The Integr@te system is your means for downloading course content and resources. Interaction with other students will take place in our Online Learning Centers. For the purpose of this assessment we have created a special Online Learning Center location built on the identical program platform. (When you enroll for your first credit course you will receive the actual location and access information for the campus' Online Learning Centers.)
Here, now, is what you do next:
- Visit http://www.westernseminary.edu/assess
- Login to the Technology Assessment site using the same username and password that you used for Integrate.
- Follow the instructions and complete the "course assignments." These will only take a few minutes and will demonstrate that you are able to perform the critical online functions necessary for success. Step-by-step these assignments are:
- Download, complete and upload the Technology Affirmation File.
- Post a comment to the discussion forum, reply to an existing post, and attach a file to your post.
- Take the brief 5-question quiz and submit your results.
- Import the calendar file that is provided in the classroom into Integr@te and take the True/False quiz to affirm that you were able to do so successfully.
As a distance learning team, we look forward to working with you as you pursue your personal and educational goals. We are always eager to talk with you, to help as we are able, and to make sure you recognize that you are part of a vibrant learning community that wants you to succeed.