Apr
25

Tim Keller on How He Prepares a Sermon (video)

Here’s a short video of Tim Keller explaining the process that he goes through in putting a sermon together. It’s an interesting inside look at one pastor’s approach to sermon preparation.

1. Stephen Dunning says:

This is not a model for those who have two or theree messages a week, preaching twice on a Sunday. The luxury of having 16 hours to prepare a message is something some of us can only dream about!

2. It is good that his congregation is willing to give him that much time to put his sermons together. If we look in Acts we see that the early church did this as well. (Acts 6:2-4) If we do not have the needed time to put into our sermons maybe we should discuss that with our churches. Let them see the difference in our sermons when we do have the necessary time, and they may be more helpful in allowing us that kind of time. I also thought it key to note that Saturday is the day he spends the longest amount of time on a sermon. Most of us consider that our time.

3. Cleveland Dawsey says:

Still preparing on Saturdays strike me as cutting it a bit too close for comfort. I would like to have all work done on the message and spend the time preparing myself. It might even be a good idea to put the thing aside for a while, and let it steep in the subconscious. “Crock Pot’ sermon prep, I call it.

As to talking with the church about having more time for preparation, it would depend on the congregation. Some churches don’t seem to care much about what you do with your time, as long as you are there for them when they need you. Others want you to account for every second. In some congregations, you would probably have more success convincing the people that the earth is flat before persuading them to let you adopt a schedule that allows more time for sermon preparation. Some churches want a pastor, others settle for a “preacher”, if you know what I mean.