May
21

Dung Beetles in Heaven

“I’m bored,” the young man says, setting his golden harp down on the soft, white mound next to him.

His companion sits up quickly, sending small puffs of cloud scattering in every direction, several catching on the shimmering halo that slipped slightly to one side at her sudden movement. “Stop saying that. You’re going to get us in trouble.”

“But I am bored. There’s nothing to do.” Reaching down he fiddles absently with one of the harp strings, sending soft notes through the golden light and causing the small cloud puffs to float rhythmically around his head. “All we ever do is play these stupid harps and sing.”

“Shhhh. Someone will hear you!” she says, glancing around in a futile effort to see if anyone was close enough to hear. Futile, of course, because in this place, someone always hears.

“What are they gonna do? Kick me out?” He slaps at the swirling could puffs, looking every bit like an angry camper trying to disperse a swarm of hungry mosquitos. “I almost wish they would.”

She just stares at him, too stunned to reply. After a long silence, she whispers, “You want out?”

He responds with a deep sigh, “I don’t know. Four thousand years is a long time to sit on a cloud playing a harp. A little change might be nice.” Staring down at his white robes, he adds, “I know the other place is for bad people. But maybe they’re at least having some fun.”

I’m sorry to say that the way most people describe Heaven sounds rather boring to me. Ask what they’re looking forward to about Heaven, and many people will say something about finding lost loved ones—sometimes even lost pets—the end of pain and sorrow, finally being able to dunk a basketball, run a marathon, or possibly even fly through the clouds. And these are all great things, I suppose. But I’m guessing that after a few thousand years, they’d all grow a bit stale. I love my friends and family, but after a millennium or two, I can pretty much guarantee that I’d be hiding in a closet every time I heard one of them coming around the corner. It’s possible that I just have an unusually short attention span and get bored easily. But 4,000 years of the same old thing sounds boring.

The problem is that our idea of eternity is badly confused. Ask us about Heaven, and we start describing some ethereal city in the clouds. When people do that, I always ask, “Where are the trees?” After waiting a few seconds for that to sink in, I’ll add, “God made trees, so apparently he likes them. Where are the trees in Heaven?” Then, while they’re scrambling about for an adequate answer, I’ll follow up with, “And don’t forget dung beetles. God made those too, so we should figure out where the dung beetles will be in Heaven.” Finally, pausing for effect, I’ll add, “And the fleas.” That always gets their attention. Trees are okay. Everybody likes trees. But dung beetles sound rather disgusting. And who wants to believe that there will be fleas in Heaven? That can’t be right. Heaven is holy and spiritual. Surely there won’t be fleas in Heaven. (By the way, in case you’re wondering, the logic of this argument cannot be applied to cats since they were the result of an evil scientist’s failed experiment and were not actually created by God. It’s true, Google it.)

Since we see Heaven as a wholly spiritual place, we have a hard time conceiving of it having any room for such earthy things as insects. But “earthy” is exactly how the Bible describes our eternal destiny. The focus of the Bible is not on our eternal destiny up among the stars somewhere, but a new city coming down on a new earth completing the plan that God has had in mind since the beginning (Rev. 21).

Our picture of “Heaven” is wrong because we’re looking in the wrong place. Rather than gazing up in the clouds trying to picture what heaven will be like, look down at your feet. Take your shoes off and dig your toes into the damp soil. Reach down and tip the little pill bug over on its back. Watch its squiggly legs kick in the air. Then, turn it over again and let it scurry away. Nearby, see the earthworm wriggling deeper into the freshly turned earth. Look closer and examine the tiny grains of dirt, each a different shape and color, yet combining to form the lush hue of fertile soil. It even smells brown. Turn over the small rocks and explore the exquisite glories that hide in even the most innocuous crevices of creation. I can’t tell you what the new earth will be like. The Bible gives us very little detail. But I can say that this one’s pretty amazing. And, whatever God has in mind for our future, it will not be any less than this.

Who came up with the idea that we’d be disembodied spirits living in some spiritual universe forever? The Bible never says anything about that. Indeed, the Bible describes our future lives as being resurrected to a true physical body, appropriately fitted for our new life (1 Cor. 15).

And our picture of eternity is out of whack because we’re selfish. Once again we find that we tend to twist the story so that it’s primarily about us—no more pain, sadness, loss, or loneliness. We can be happy forever. It sounds great. Why wouldn’t it? It’s all about us. For deeply selfish people, this sounds like the ultimate paradise.

But once again we have to remind ourselves that this story isn’t about us. Sure, eternity will be great. God loves us and wouldn’t have anything less than the best for his people. But that doesn’t mean that this is all about us. The new earth is still about God (Rev. 21:22). And that’s good news. As long as eternity is about us, it will be a boring place to be. We’re just not that cool, and eventually we’ll get bored with ourselves and our own happiness. But God? He’s another story entirely. We could spend an entire eternity pursuing him in his infinite mystery: constantly learning new things, being challenged in new ways, rediscovering over and over again how far beyond us he truly is.

Setting her harp down on the velvety soft grass, she looks over at her companion. “That’s enough for now,” she says. “I’m going to go tend the garden for a while. The corn is almost ready.”

“Thank you,” her friend replies, “that was lovely.” He moves slowly away meditating on the song, already looking forward to sharing it with everyone at the feast later, so they can all worship together. But right now, he’s going to the lake for a swim.

A dung beetle watches him pass.

God smiles.

[This is an excerpt from a book that I’m writing about the gospel, Good News for the Living Dead: A Fresh Take on the Gospel Story. You can read the other excerpts and keep track of new ones as they become available on my blog.]

1. I agree; our view of eternity is quite fallen. I feel that I can hope to at least catch a glimpse of eternity when I look at my boys running down the sand dunes to the water, the squeals of joy on their faces, the incredible glimmer that shines in their eyes and on their faces as they splash around. They are free. I am praying and hoping that is what Heaven will be like. No more sorrow or pain – that could mean many a thing to us here on earth. Again, much is left to our human minds, I would hope that we would be able to deal with whatever would come our way. Perhaps that would be why we have no sorrow & tears – if we could be close to the Maker of it all, to see what He sees in Heaven, to understand and have knowledge, perhaps there would be no reason to weep. This was a great post.

2. Life after life after death, as the good (former) bishop puts it.

If God’s ultimate goal for us was to live as spirits in a non-physical realm, why would He have created us in a physical world in the first place?

3. solomani says:

Your post reminds me of an incident with my kids. I recall explaining to my kids what heaven would be like – basically Earth without sin + better than we can imagine. Similar to what you have said. At another time I spoke about dinosaurs and things like unicorns and griffons (on our family crest). A few weeks later the question came up again and my 6y old son – putting two and two together – said “Oh yeah, in heaven we will ride dinosaurs to the park to watch Dad ride his griffon!”. I cant argue with that :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] Cortez - Dung Beetles in Heaven: Our picture of “Heaven” is wrong because we’re looking in the wrong place. Rather [...]

2. [...] 5 minute read comparing a typical view of heaven with one that takes into account the Creator’s [...]

3. [...] we have a conception of heaven that seems so pedestrian (dull). Here’s a fun article entitle Dung Beetles In Heaven. Heaven won’t be dull. Here’s the best quote: By the way, in case you’re wondering, [...]