Jan
28

5 Things to Remember When It Comes to Church Size

I have had the privilege to serve as a coach to pastors for over 15 years, and I’ve noticed that it does not take long in the coaching relationship for the topic of church size to come up. I’ve also noticed that some pastors approach church growth with health and wholeness while others struggle with (and because of) church size.  If you are a pastor, church planter, or key leader, you need a healthy and theologically sound attitude for dealing with church growth, size, and numbers.  To help you develop such an attitude, here are five things to recognize when it comes to church size.

1. scratchboard of cityscapeGrowth is not the only good.  Some church leaders lack a biblical imagination that would allow them to envision a purpose for their church other than growth.  Making growth (or big) synonymous with good is a recipe for disaster because it prevents good from being a higher value than growth.  Granted, big and good are not opposites, but there is much more about being a good church than being big.   Imagine if you gauged the goodness of your family on numbers – number of family members or size of bank account or some other metric.  That would be silly and very unhealthy.  Certainly there are numbers you need to look at in order to help your family thrive, but the numbers are not your goal.  The same is true for a church – numbers are second and third level concerns, not primary goals with inherent goodness.
  2. Evangelism may be a mask for egoism.  There are many poor reasons to focus on church growth (ego, consumerism, competition, greed, etc.) and only one good reason to give any attention at all to growth: evangelism.  The sad fact is that some pastors use evangelism as a cover for what is really nothing more than an ego trip – they say they care about souls saved, while in reality they want the church to grow in order to satisfy their own sense of worth.  To be fair, I think the ego-driven needs of pastors are often beneath the surface so that the pastor is not fully cognizant of why exactly they want the church to grow, and sometimes the motives are mixed.  So be sure to reflect very deeply and very often on what is driving you to want church growth.  To help explore your deepest motivations, you might ask yourself, “If God capped the size of our church at where we are now, how would I practice evangelism?”
  3. Pegging your sense of worth to attendance will drive you nuts. Pastors who get up when numbers are up also get down when the numbers drop.  If you feel more worthy, more loved, more hopeful, and just generally better about yourself and the world when the sanctuary is full, then watch out.  Watch out because when the sanctuary is not so full you likely will feel down, pessimistic, less hopeful, and generally worse about yourself and life.  If you let numbers dictate your mood, you will be on an emotional roller coaster that makes a teenage girl look like a stoic.  Numbers are a terrible thermometer, but an even worse thermostat.
  4. Growth solves nothing.  If you think growth will solve some challenge your church is facing, you are wrong.  A leader who thinks that more people, more resources (money!), or more of anything will solve some problem they currently face is interpreting life through something other than a biblical lens.  Growth is not the solution, the gospel is.  If you think growth will solve your challenges, you are likely focusing on the wrong goals and/or you have a very poor strategy for being a church.  There is no biblical evidence for needing more people in order to meet a congregational challenge.
  5. The litmus test for truth is not growth.  I cannot tell you how many times (it’s a lot) I’ve heard a pastor respond to a questionable church practice with something along the lines of, “Yeah, but they must be doing something right.”  If we are not diligent, there is a subtle pragmatism that can seep into our ministry, leading us to do only that which works and discarding anything that does not work.  The problem is that “works” is shorthand for “works to grow the church.”  You could very likely come up with a long list of very bad things that will “work” to increase attendance so my encouragement is to cease using “does it work?” as a way to discern whether a style, strategy, practice or person is of God.  By the way, the flip side is equally true: growth is not evidence of heresy.   Evidence for heresy is heresy; evidence for truth is truth.  If you’re in doubt about these, study the Bible, pray, and read some church history.

My experience with wise church leaders is that they reluctantly embrace growth when it comes, but they do not chase it, they do not fixate on it, and they do not use it as an indicator of anything in any short-term way.  They do look at long-term trends to help identify obstacles to effective ministry, and they certainly celebrate the stories of people who experience gospel-centered transformation.  For the most part, wise church leaders focus on actual people and celebrate names way more than numbers.

What about you?  What have you learned about a healthy approach to church growth, numbers, and church size?  Where have you seen it handled well?  Not so well?

Wondering if Seminary shoud be your next step?

About Chad Hall

Chad Hall is the Director of Coaching for Western Seminary and also serves as a leadership coach for ministry and corporate clients through his role as Partner with Coach Approach Ministries and iNTERNAL iMPACT.

1. Jeramie Rinne says:

Excellent article, Chad. I’ve forwarded this on to my elders and staff.

2. Outstanding article. The principles and warnings you conveyed are always timely and relevant. We can’t be reminded about such things too much, given our propensity for self-promotion and false success. Thanks for posting.

3. Thinking about number one…funny thing is that some people actually do measure how “good” their family is based on numbers. There are many in the church (especially homeschool and family-integrated circles) that believe the number of children marks how blessed their family is. This, in my mind, is a misapplication of Psalm 127, but mind you it is there and I have pastored many who feel that way. Unfortunately I’ve also seen some of those families implode because too many of the fathers of those families though so long as he had a quiver full then he was being a good father.

• Chad Hall says:

Steve… you’re right. I thought about that as I was writing this and I just hoped that most who read the blog were not of the mindset that a big family and a good family are synonymous.

4. The only number that matters is zero. Once you reach that close up and go somewhere else.

5. Pastor Frank Denning says:

Chad, it has been a long time since you were a youth at Friendship Baptist Church and I was trying to keep my eyes on you to make sure you were where you were supposed to be doing what you were supposed to be doing. Oh, those were good days. I always felt like God would use you in some special way and He has and is. I am now physically disabled and retired and live next door to Friendship. What you have written is so true and wise. It is easier to see that looking back, and looking from the outside in. You know Pastors need a lot of encouragement today more than ever before. The expectations and demands seem to be at an all time high. As there always has been, there are some in the pastoral ministry because they love people and some who really don’t know why they are there. But men like you whom God has gifted in a special way can and I’m sure is making a big difference in many Pastors lives and in the life of many congregations. I want you to know I am proud of you and thank God for the way He is using you in His kingdom’s work. Please let me hear back from you soon. I know you must come to see you folks sometimes, maybe we can get together. My folks are in heaven now waiting for me.

• Chad Hall says:

Frank… great to hear from you. Thanks for your kind words and I will certainly make an effort to come by for a visit soon.

6. Great post

We need this message to come from the leaders of the church to remind the members of the congregation of the direction and goals of the church.

To often churches get stuck on point 1. I would have expanded it a little as having lost the goal of church (focusing on what seems a great goal) some leaders forget what the other goal of their church should be.

7. I agree with most of this as far as it goes, but I find the way #4 is argued to be a little disingenuous. It is a simple truth that the more people you have that are committed to the work of the gospel, the more work you will be able to do, both in terms of prayer and in terms of practical service and discipleship. Paul simply would not have been able to maintain oversight of a number of churches, for instance, if he were the only one doing that work. Instead, he trains up people, calls others to join with him in prayer and to join with supporting other churches, in order to continue the work of the gospel and its proclamation.

To say “growth solves nothing, the gospel does” is a false dichotomy, I feel. The gospel accomplishes two things – it calls some to repentance, and it expresses God’s judgement on those who continue without repentance. It does not ‘solve a problem’ in an of itself – it is simply God’s statement on the nature of his kingdom. It solves a problem for some, but not for all.

For those for whom it does ‘solve a problem’, it is, by definition, growth. When the problem of sin is solved in someone’s heart, it is because they are a new creation and are now found in Christ. The number of the Body of Christ has now increased, in real terms, by one. If we are interested in solving the problem of sin and death, then we are also interested in growth. Simple as that.

And no, growth in itself does not solve all our problems (and growth without wisdom most of all). But it does solve some.