Educational programs at Western Seminary employ a common set of marks to indicate student achievement in a course. The course syllabi detail specific requirements for each level of achievement.

The following criteria are used at Western Seminary in assigning a final grade:

A = Excellent; superior achievement of course objectives
B = Good; commendable achievement of course objectives
C = Satisfactory; acceptable achievement of course objectives
D = Poor; marginal achievement of course objectives
S = Satisfactory; adequate achievement of course objectives
U = Unsatisfactory; insufficient achievement of course objectives
F = Failure to advance in the course to the extent necessary for credit to be given
W = Withdrawal; official permission granted to withdraw from the course after the final date for dropping the course

Temporary notations are used:

I = Incomplete; a temporary extension
IP = In Progress; continuation into subsequent term

Students enrolled in the D.Min. or D.Miss. programs should consult their program handbooks for interpretation of grades.

The minimum academic requirement for all coursework that applies to the Addiction Studies Certificate must not fall below a 75% passing grade for the course. This does not include individual grades for exams, assignments or quizzes.

Grades have been assigned the following numerical values for the purpose of computing the grade point average:
Grade Points/Credit Grade Points/Credit

A/A+ 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0

Students may view grades by logging in to the Student Information System at the conclusion of each semester in which course work is attempted. Courses which are assigned a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory grade are not computed in the grade point average. Transfer credits are not included in the determination of the grade point average.

A course in which a student has received a grade of C, D, or F may be repeated. When completed, only the last grade will be used in determining the grade point average. However, both grades will appear on the student’s permanent record.

A student has one full semester to protest in writing any grade received. The protest must be received in the form of an Academic Petition addressed to the Registrar’s Office.

Student Handbook