Elizabeth Wosley-George, Ph.D.
Professor of Counseling
“My passion for students is that they are eager learners; that they become caring professionals who truly strive for excellence in the work they do, and in so doing bring hope to a struggling world, reflecting Christ’s grace, love and mercy to all humanity.”
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Psychology, Ohio State University – Columbus
- M.ED. in Higher Education and Counseling University of Washington – Seattle
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Washington – Seattle
|LOCATION:||Portland Campus, Milliken Hall, 3rd Floor|
Further Ministry Experience
Former Portland State University professor, and coordinator of Counselor Education, Liz began her career while a young person as script writer and recorder for Christian Radio Studio, Obot Idim, Ibesikpo, Nigeria. The tapes recorded were broadcast on Radio Voice of The Gospel, to several African nations, as a service of The Lutheran Hour/Bringing Christ to the Nations. Her experience includes work as an adoptions worker for Gentle Care Adoption Services in Columbus, Ohio, and later, at Give Us This Day Adoption Services, in Portland, Oregon. She was also Director of Emergency Services at North Central Mental Health in Columbus, Ohio. From 1991 to 2011, she served as an Emergency Services Crisis Clinician for Providence Health and Services, Portland, Oregon. She has served on various boards, of agencies concerned with care for mental illness, and was a vice Chair for the former Network Behavioral Health, now Cascadia Behavioral Health, in Portland Oregon. Liz and her husband Ben have been married for thirty-one years and have four children. She enjoys singing, gardening, and spending time at the coast.
Recent Published Work
- Commentator for Evidence-Based Mental Health (EBMH) Journal (2011-present)
- Bishop, M, Livneh, H, and Wosley-George, E.T. (2005).
- Counseling clients with psychiatric disabilities in D. Capuzzi and L Gross (Eds), Introduction to the Counseling Profession. Boston, Massachusettes: Allyn and Bacon.
Recent Audio Resources
- Member, Health Interactive Panel—Access, advocacy and action. Panel of experts that explored challenges people face in obtaining healthcare in the Portland Oregon area. Moderated by Emily Harris, formerly of National Public Radio/Oregon Public Broadcasting. A Marylhurst University, Spring into Service event, April 19, 2012.