Enhanced training, saving you time and money. Update rolling out in fall 2017!
You demand excellence from doctors, teachers, and therapists. You expect that they've hit the books and practiced their craft in order to serve with expertise. We believe that those who shepherd souls must do the same, while developing an enduring faithfulness to God. That's why we offer the Master of Divinity (M.Div.): the highest standard of training for the challenge of pastoral ministry—in local churches and in the community. The Master of Divinity degree program equips you to engage in Gospel-centered leadership roles, such as pastoral ministry, chaplaincy, teaching, and missions. It presents you with other open doors as well, serving to meet ordination requirements for some Christian denominations, while also meeting admission qualifications for doctoral programs that focus on ministry or theology.
Graduate in less than three years
What Sets Our M.Div. Degree Apart?
- An emphasis on Gospel-centrality and biblical theology, and how they shape your approach to ministry
- Create a statement of faith rather than adopting the seminary's doctrinal position
- A rigorous Candidacy process, ministering to real people under the supervision of an seasoned ministry practitioner
- Specialized training in Hebrew and Greek languages through one of two tracks:
- Exegetical: Learn to read the Bible in the original languages to get maximum insight into God’s Word
- Functional: Learn the grammar and syntax of the original languages and then study using Bible Software to provide vocabulary and parsing
- Visit either Israel or Greece and Turkey on faculty-led study tours for elective credit
- Recent high school grads may complete a B.A. and M.Div. in 5 years through the Kairos Accelerated Master of Divinity
Specialize Your Ministry Studies
Increase the relevance of your training by tailoring it to your ministry context. Choose a specialization from one of the following tracks, or work with an advisor to build a specialization all your own via the Open Track:
- Global Leadership
- Pastoral Ministry
- Women's Pastoral Leadership
- Open Track
A Candidacy Process for Real-world Learning
During your Ministry Leadership Formation courses, you'll form a mentoring team within your own ministry setting, while also joining Ministry Leadership groups that work through case studies formed from students' greatest challenges in serving. This process sees you submit a portfolio of ministry experiences after completing half of your studies, combined with an assessment by your mentoring team as well as select faculty. After advancing to candidacy and completing all your courses you graduate with our promise of ministry readiness.
You may complete the Master of Divinity in a little less than three years' time of full-time studies through our online campus, at any of our campuses in Oregon and Northern California, or by completing some studies at Seattle Teaching Site in addition to final studies at any degree-granting campus. Students who prefer on campus learning but live at a distance may also complete their training without the need to relocate or leave their ministry context through the following scheduling options, though their completion timeframe may be extended:
|Monday Schedule Option||Complete your M.Div. training in one day of class on campus per week.|
|Hybrid Ministry Schedule option||Combine 60 credits of online learning with 8 weeklong trips to campus for live courses.|
Note: Any campus-based M.Div. student must complete at least 28 residency credits on campus, while the rest can be completed through online courses.
Theological Education That Keeps Debt Down
Ministry work can bring limited financial reward. That's why we encourage wise financial stewardship as you pay for school. In fact, the average Western Seminary student graduates with an average of only $8532 in loan debt to repay. It might surprise you to learn that only about 19% of our students utilize loans, most choosing instead to pay out of pocket, with scholarships, or via a monthly payment plan. Look into your options for financial aid.
M.Div. Admission Requirements
- A Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited undergraduate institution
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A completed application for admission and all admissions materials
If you do not have a bachelor's degree or do not meet one of the requirements above, contact an enrollment counselor to explore alternative M.Div. admission requirements.