We Elected a Sinner

By Gary Tuck

We did it again. We elected a sinner. When are we going to learn? In fact we elected 435 sinners out of 435 seats in the House of Representatives. And a bunch of Sin-ators. You get the point?

According to Daniel 4:25, “the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone He wishes.” God raises up earth’s leaders, including those in the USA, which means He puts sinners in places of leadership. Some are aggressively hostile against Him and goodness, some are humble, faithful. Most (?) are somewhere in between.

But God is driving history to the end He has determined. That is laid out definitively in Daniel 2 with the course of the four short-lived empires to be replaced ultimately and eternally by “the Kingdom” of “the God of heaven” (2:44). And the main idea about that Kingdom is … [wait for it] … the King, Jesus!

Hebrews 12:2 exhorts us, “Fixing our eyes on Jesus.” Not this President or any other.

Sometimes it feels like Christians are arguing, “My guy isn’t as bad as your guy; my guy’s sins aren’t as bad as your guy’s.” Can we worry and fuss a little less about this or that terrible, immoral President, and celebrate and promote Hope in the glorious Savior-King?

What happened to Psalm 37:1, “Fret not yourself because of evildoers”? Verse 8 adds, in loose paraphrase, “when you do, you become like them, evildoer.” Ouch! What happened to 2 Cor 4:16, “We look not at the things that are seen but at the things that are unseen”?

In choosing one sinner to lead the Executive branch of our federal government, we rejected another sinner who ran against him, and watched yet another sinner move out of the White House. But as long as we are fixing our eyes on this or that sinner, it’s hard for us at the same time to fix our eyes on the Sinless One. (As an added bonus, by fixing our gaze on Him, we are being miraculously transformed: 2 Cor 3:18!)

Jesus is coming, not to run for office, but to claim the office that was granted to Him ages ago by the Creator and Supreme Lord of the Universe. See Psalm 2:6-7. As long as we concentrate on sinners (Presidents), it’s hard to concentrate on the Savior-King.

I hope you will join me in fixing our eyes less on sinners and a little more—of course I am being facetious: a lot more—on Earth’s only Hope. And there is real Hope, because He really is coming and He really is going to judge and reign and reign and reign … If we keep our focus on Him today, we will surely recognize Him when He comes (tomorrow?).

4 thoughts on “We Elected a Sinner

1. This is true Dr. Tuck, but the rationale that I have heard other Christians use for electing the current president is truly terrifying. It says much about the how far nationalism has poisoned the evangelical branch of Christianity. It breaks my heart.

2. To place ultimate hope in anything and anyone but Jesus, as you stated, is futile! We have one Savior and Lord, and He is King and He will come again to judge the living and the dead, and His Kingdom will have no end.
    My concern is that what I have heard from Christians isn’t so much comparisons of the sins of their respective candidates, but rather the downplaying of genuine concerns about the leader we did elect; specifically in the ways he has spoken of particular groups of people. As a Christian, that is what troubled me then, and troubles me now.

1. Cynthia, your focus (or should I say sub-focus) is on the apparent (media spun) failings of a sinner. You have chosen to believe the portrayal spun by a media that has an anti-God agenda. I, a sinner, will not downplay or be passive if current leadership demonstrates wrongful action toward particular groups of other sinners, however, I am understanding the importance of God’s values for a society and will expect leadership to lead accordingly. The other candidate for office, also a sinner, was outspoken (by way of platform) contrary to the Biblical values for our society. As I look forward to the eternal reign of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I am thankful (at this time); God has placed in office a sinner who’s bent is more Biblically focused.

3. I think as a poor minority woman this article can seem rather invalidating. I love God and I know he is sovereign but I did worry and fuss. I would like to believe that God was with me in my worry and fear as I prayed to him about my concerns surrounding a president who was so against… me.

I feared my insurance getting taken away, I feared for my friends who have green cards, I feared that him becoming president could open the doors for closet racists to feel more safe and commit more openly racist acts.

I agree that God knows what He is doing and our ultimate hope is in him, but I challenge the evangelical church to love Muslims and immigrants and those who are in fear of being sent back to unsafe places.

Those who can live every day without any sort of fear about the presidency maintain a certain amount of privilege, whether it be social class , Whiteness, etc.

I say this in love! Not in condemnation. These are just my real life thoughts and experiences with a different worldview.

Shalom.