Personal Safety on Campus
Need assistance? Call our Emergency Security Number, 503.720.0635, for help any time you're on campus. Our resident security service means that someone is available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Though Western Seminary provides security personnel for the purpose of student safety, we encourage all students to take responsibility for their own personal safety and security by observing a few suggestions:
- After dark, please walk to your vehicles, between buildings, or any other outdoor location in groups of two or more. If needed, you may call for a security escort by using the Emergency Security Number.
- Avoid being alone in a classroom or other indoor “semi-private” area for extended periods of time. If at anytime of day you ever find yourself feeling unease in an empty room or around another individual you do not recognize as a student, or feel personally violated by another person, leave the area immediately and report the incident or encounter to Security as a need for immediate assistance.
- Avoid walking in areas on campus, both inside and outside, which present a slipping or falling danger (areas of mud or pooling water, areas of spilled liquids or food). Please report the location of the area in question to Security as soon as possible.
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times.
- If leaving valuable (or non-valuable but tempting) items in your car, place them in an area where they are not immediately visible. Your best option is to put them in the trunk.
- Do not leave personal items of value lying around campus (in classrooms, Student Center, etc.) unattended. Western Seminary is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Lockers are provided in the stairwell on the west end of Bueermann Hall for personal storage of valuables or the like. You provide the lock. At the end of each semester the lockers are cleaned out. Items left behind will be removed to Lost and Found. (There is a Lost and Found in the Physical Plant Department office located in The Carriage House. You may also call the office to check on an item.)
- Western Seminary offers help, but cannot guarantee success, in the following services related to vehicle problems on campus property: dead batteries, flat tires, and locked-in keys.
Important Phone Numbers
Dial "9" first if you are calling any of the following from a campus phone:
- For all emergencies: 911
- Portland Policy non-emergency line: 503.823.3333
- Western Seminary security emergency numbers: 503.720.0635 or 503.459.9676
- Western Seminary security office: 503.517.1878
- Western Seminary reception desk: 503.517.1800
To report a non-emergency (an encounter or incident not requiring police, fire or medical attention) related to safety and security please call the Security Office. For immediate assistance related to safety and security (i.e. vehicle break-in, flat tire, dead battery, etc.) please call the Security Emergency Number. To request a security escort to your vehicle please call the Security Emergency Number.
The Resident Security house is located directly east of Bueermann Hall. Always call before knocking at the door of the Resident Security house. In cases of emergencies outside normal business hours, especially those requiring police, fire or medical attention, DO come to the door of the Resident Security house and knock loudly.