The Western Seminary San Jose Campus library has over 5,000 library books and online access to thousands of journal articles.
Monday – Friday, 10am – 6pm and whenever classes are in session weeknights and most Saturdays until 6pm. The library is closed on Sundays and most holidays. Hours vary during holidays and summer.
Online Library Access
Students may access Western Seminary San Jose Campus' library resources online at: www.westernseminary.edu/students/sanjose/library/home
Students may access Western Seminary San Jose Campus' online library catalog at: opac.libraryworld.com/opac/home
There is no password for the WSSJ library catalog, so students can leave the password blank and click the login button. After the initial set up, the WSSJ library catalog will be the default window.
Books and Periodicals
- Key policies regarding the use of Western’s materials are the following:
- Books with check-out cards may be self-checked from the library for two weeks.
- Books that are in the Reserve Area are for library use only.
- Books that are checked out may be returned to the book drop in the library.
- Please do not re-shelve any books after checking them out.
- Please return them to the book drop.
- Any books lost or damaged may be charged to your account.
- Locate your book. Use Library World database to assist you.
- Print legibly on checkout card in back of book, Your Name, Your Student ID number, Due Date (2 weeks from checkout date).
- Place the card in the small gray card box on librarian’s desk.
- Write due date on a reminder card to place in book pocket as
- your reminder.
- Return books to Book Return Box when due.
- Please limit number of books checked out to a maximum of five at one time. Reference books may NOT be checked out unless marked “3 or 7 day loan.”
Academic Resources Available Online
Through the Ebsco Host Research Databases, the Library provides students with access to a number of ministry and psychology databases.These databases can be accessed from anywhere that Internet service is provided and are restricted for use by Western students and faculty only.
On Campus Computers
Our computers are available for student use any time the library is open. Students may use them to access BibleWorks, Ages’ Master Christian Library, and the IVP Dictionaries required in some of the classes (e.g., The Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, etc.).
There is a coin-operated copy machine in the library for student use (administrative Office equipment/materials are available to faculty and staff only.)
The Western Seminary Library welcomes students to bring food and experience fellowship as you study!
Non-students are welcome to use Library Materials onsite; however, checkout privileges are for registered students only.
Off Campus Library Options
To supplement the resources available through Western, the Seminary will reimburse degree students registered for courses up to $100 a year for purchase of library cards from libraries located near you. A receipt and a Financial Petition are required for reimbursement. Below is a listing of some of the primary libraries in the greater Bay Area.
San Jose State University
1 Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0028
Santa Clara University Library
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053-0500
University of California Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary
201 Seminary Drive
Mill Valley, CA 94941
Notre Dame De Namur University
1500 Ralston Avenue
Belmont, CA 94002
Saint Patrick's Seminary
320 Middlefield Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
San Francisco Theological Seminary
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Privileges Office, Green Library
Stanford, CA 94305-6004
University of San Francisco
530 Parnassus Ave., Box 0840
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840
Graduate Theological Union Library
2400 Ridge Road
Berkeley, CA 94619
St. Mary's College Library
1928 St. Mary’s Road
Moraga, CA 94575
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720