Online Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
Enhanced training, saving you time and money. Update rolling out in fall 2017!
The Online Master of Divinity (M.Div.) program prepares men and women to engage in Gospel-centered leadership roles, such as pastoral ministry, chaplaincy, teaching, and missionary work. The Master of Divinity is the most recognizable seminary degree in the United States, offering students a comprehensive curricular base in Bible, theology, spiritual formation, Greek and Hebrew language, and ministry skill. This accredited online master's degree presents graduates the greatest opportunity number of open doors for church and parachurch ministry opportunities and serves as a requirement for ordination for some Christian denominations. Master of Divinity training is often a requirement for admission to doctoral programs that emphasize Christian ministry or theology.
Graduate in less than three years
All credits online, except 3 sets of on-campus courses
Online learning in community. No compromise.
The Gospel is conveyed most powerfully when churches operate in the light of God's Word and His Spirit. In Western Seminary’s Online Master of Divinity, your studies will help you develop a theological framework that focuses the ministry skill you'll aquire. The breadth of studies all adds up to training for lifetime of pastoral ministry. And you can train wherever you call home.
Eighty years of gospel-centered instruction, and thirty years of innovation in distance learning mean that Western Seminary Online campus offers exceptional online training from seasoned ministry practitioners. Even more than advanced technology, it is the ongoing, personal connection to a global community that distinguishes this our online degrees.
A Master of Divinity that stands apart
- An emphasis on Gospel-centrality and biblical theology, and how they shape your approach to ministry
- Create a statement of faith rather than adopting the seminary's doctrinal position
- A rigorous Candidacy process, ministering to real people under the supervision of an seasoned ministry practitioner
- Specialized training in Hebrew and Greek languages through one of two tracks:
- Exegetical: Learn to read the Bible in the original languages to get maximum insight into God’s Word
- Functional: Learn the grammar and syntax of the original languages and then study using Bible Software to provide vocabulary and parsing
- Visit either Israel or Greece and Turkey on faculty-led study tours for elective credit
Online education, powered by Integr@te
We’re serious about quality training, which is why we developed the Integr@te software. This is our custom-built downloadable learning system, built to ensure your success in online seminary training. Whatever web-connected device you use, you’ll have immediate access to a suite of Bible study and course calendaring tools as well as video lectures by Western professors. All this compliments Online Learning Centers that serve as a hub for global student interaction and learning assessment.
Study at a pace that fits your priorities
Degree completed for a lifetime of enhanced impact for Christ.
Start your seminary training in September, January, or May—whichever fits your schedule best. And while the program is designed to be completed in four years of part-time studies, you may accelerate your study to finish in a little less than three years or slow your studies when situations warrant.
A connected community + mentoring option
Your online learning experience will be filled with people you'll never forget—whom you'll meet during three visits to the Portland campus:
Visit One: Near the start of your program, you’ll build a new support network by taking a week of Threshold courses on campus with fellow online students. During your trip, you’ll meet course professors who will instruct and advise you throughout your program. You’ll also meet student services staff and learn how to access the support resources we make available.
Visit Two: Halfway through your program, you'll reconnect with your community for another week of intensive classes.
Visit Three: Your training culminates in one last trip to campus to complete a final 2.5 day Capstone course.
Throughout the program, you will have the opportunity to participate in personal and career mentoring which follows your own Personal Development Plan. This plan will drive the two meetings you have with your Program Mentor per semester via internet communication software. During these sessions, you'll assess progress in the areas of course content, ministry competency, personal character, and interpersonal relationships. All of this is directed at seeing your training catalyze true spiritual transformation in your life and work.
Gain access to an extensive online library
The Online Master of Divinity is a professional master's degree program and carries the expectation that students will complete advanced research from scholarly sources. Students have online access to a growing collection of 150,000 e-books and the full text of 15,000 journals. In addition to these online library resources, students have access to the print library collections on each campus.
Personal Computer Standards
- Mac OS X (10.8) or Windows XP or Windows 7 running on a Pentium 4 class computer or faster.
- 2 GB RAM
- 20 GB free to allow for course downloads
- High speed broadband Internet
- DVD/RW-ROM drive
- Webcam (HD Preferred)
- Headphones with microphone
- Current web browser (Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 8, Safari 5, Google Chrome 11, Opera 9)
- Word processor writing to *.doc format
- Outlook, Gmail, or other email service that is able to read HTML emails and receive and send attachments
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software (free download)
- A Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited undergraduate institution
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A completed application for admission and all admissions materials
If an applicant does not meet one of these requirements, we invite them to contact an enrollment counselor to explore alternative admission options.