Attendance Policies

Class Attendance Policies

Students are expected to attend and participate in classroom activities as directed by the instructor and as noted in the course syllabus.  Please refer to your specific course syllabi for class attendance policies.

In order to receive credit for a course, students must attend at least 80% of the scheduled class meetings.

When a student anticipates that an absence of 20% or more of the class time is necessary, permission in advance by academic petition is required. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with instructors for missed class work.

Leaves of Absence/Withdrawal and Continuous Enrollment

While we hope you never have to leave, except for in the case of graduation, sometimes the unexpected can happen and your plans need to change. Whenever possible, students should plan class withdraws and extended absences of a term or longer with their advisor.

Class Withdrawal

Students can drop/withdraw on their S.I.S. account up to week 10 in any term. After week 10, to withdraw, you need to file an Academic Petition on S.I.S.. (Considerations:  Any refunds will be as per the refund schedule at the time of withdraw. No refunds are given after week six, even if class has not started meeting. Part or all of Financial Aid may have to be returned. Speak with Financial Aid or the Registrar for more information.) Withdrawing from classes for three consecutive terms in a row will be consider making no progress and will result in removal from the program.

Sitting out a term or two

Master's and Advanced Degree students may take a leave of absence of up to two terms before being considered inactive. The student’s standing in the program will remain active during the leave of absence. A leave of absence is permitted only for students in good standing and does not constitute a waiver of the statute of limitations for completion of the degree.

Medical Withdraw

If you have had a serious diagnosable health challenge and need to stop your studies to recover, please contact Disability Services at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for specific next steps.

Leaving Western Seminary Entirely

If you want to stop your program at Western Seminary, please connect with your advisor or program faculty first. In many cases, a course extension, a lighter course load, or other adjustments may address your concerns. To formally request a withdraw, students are asked to connect with the Registrar (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) to update their student record. A withdraw is not officially completed until it has been processed by the Registrar.

Students who fail to complete coursework (either by non-registration or withdrawal) and make progress toward degree requirements for three consecutive semesters will be considered to have withdrawn from their degree program and the Seminary. Students who have withdrawn and desire to return will need to apply for readmission through the Admissions Office. Such students will be subject to the catalog requirements in effect at the time of re-entry rather than those in effect at the time of initial admission.

Official Notification:  Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with any official notification so we have your request on record. In your withdrawal communication, tell us:

  • First and Last Name
  • Western Student ID Number
  • Planned Returning Semester (If Applicable)
  • Reason for Break/Leaving (Short description is fine)
  • Please let us know also if you have talked with your advisor, professor or another staff team administrator.

By completing the above, students will be successfully removed from automated communications (except if outstanding Business Office matters). If, however, you continue to receive communications, please forward student information on to Student Services; we will look into the error.