Latest Updates, Resources, and Response to COVID-19

Leaves of Absence/Withdraw and Continuous Enrollment

Whenever possible, students should plan extended absences of a semester or longer with their advisor. A master’s-level student may take a leave of absence of up to two terms before being removed as an active student. The student’s standing in the program will remain active during the leave of absence. A leave of absence is permitted only for students in good standing and does not constitute a waiver of the statute of limitations for completion of the degree. 

Class Withdraw: Students can drop/withdraw on their S.I.S. account up to the 10th week in any term. After the 10th week you need to file an Academic Petition on S.I.S. for withdraw. (Considerations:  All financial aid will be reversed in full. Any refunds will be as per the refund schedule at time of withdraw. No refunds after six weeks even if class has not started meeting. Speak with Financial Aid or Student Services for more information.) Withdrawing from classes for three terms in a row will be consider making no progress and will result in removal from the program.

Taking a break or Leaving Western Seminary entirely:
If you want to take a break from attending or stop your program at Western Seminary, it’s always a good idea to talk with your advisor or program faculty.

Students considering withdrawing from the Seminary, regardless of the reason, are encouraged to meet with a Dean of Student Development or Campus Student Services Director to begin the formal withdrawal process. Withdrawal is not complete until the academic approval has been processed by the Registrar's Office. In many cases, a course extension, a lighter course load or other adjustments may address your concerns. 

Medical Withdraw: If you have had a serious diagnoseable health challenge and need to stop your studies to recover, please contact Dean of Student Success at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for specific next steps.

Offical Notification: Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with any offical notification so we have your request on record. In your withdraw communication tell us:

  • First and Last Name
  • ID Number
  • Planned Returning Semester (If Applicable)
  • Reason for Break/Leaving (Short description is fine)
  • Please let us know also if you have talked with your advisor/professor/staff or if you would like to be contacted by someone.

By completing the above, students will be successfully removed from automated communications (except if outstanding Business Office matters). If, however, you continue to receive communications, please forward that student’s information on to Student Services; we will look into the error.

Returning Students:  Students who fail to complete coursework (either by non-registration or withdraw) and make progress toward degree requirements for three consecutive semesters will be considered to have withdrawn from their degree program and the Seminary. Students who have withdrawn and desire to return will need to apply for readmission through the Admissions Office. Such students will be subject to the catalog requirements in effect at the time of re-entry rather than those in effect at the time of initial admission.