Transfer Credit and Residence Requirements

Students enrolled at Western Seminary who desire to take courses at other institutions applicable to their degree programs must have the approval of the Registrar and their program director prior to enrolling for such courses.

Students who have completed relevant studies prior to matriculation at Western Seminary may request consideration for the transfer of credit. Western Seminary normally accepts appropriate transfer credit from graduate institutions accredited by the Association of Theological Schools or regional accrediting associations. No transfer credit will be granted for non-degree status students. Incoming students should submit requests for transfer credit evaluations in writing prior to or during the first semester of enrollment.

For credit to be granted, the previous work must approximately parallel course content (80% or higher equivalence), as described in Western’s catalog, judged by comparison of typical course syllabi. The previous courses must be validated by an official transcript with indication of a grade of “B” (3.0) or higher. Courses assigned a passing grade, rather than a letter grade, will not be considered. Students may request to be assessed by exam for currency on courses to be transferred that are more than five years old. If the prior studies were contained within a master’s degree, not more than 50% of the prior credits may be accepted in transfer towards the Western Seminary degree.

It is the Seminary’s responsibility to determine credit allowed. Courses approved for transfer credit are not entered on the Western transcript and are not considered in the grade point average computation for the purposes of determining continued enrollment and graduation.

Residence Requirements

Students enrolled in Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, and Graduate Studies Diploma programs are required to complete at least 50 percent of the credits for graduation through Western Seminary. Students enrolled in the Master of Theology, Doctor of Ministry, Doctor of Intercultural Studies and Doctor of Education programs should consult appropriate sections of their program handbooks. Questions regarding the transfer of credit or residency requirements should be addressed to the Registrar.