Community Life and Events
Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37- 40, NIV
Community Life is about:
- Nurturing a wholehearted passion for active love of Jesus.
- Fostering opportunities to love your neighbor. Western invites you to times of fun with your fellow students and times of service to our community neighbors.
- Providing resources for personal health and growth. Western invites you to ask for help in becoming a healthy person who is fit to care for others.
It takes a community to develop community life.
To do this well, Western Seminary has incorporated several ministry teams for the sole purpose of living out the value of community.
The Student Ministry Team
The Women’s Center for Ministry
The Women's Center for Ministry plans events specifically for women. Female students as well as wives of students are invited to participate in the Women’s Center events. More information is available at the Women's Center for Ministry page.
The Office of Student Development
The Office of Student Development provides support to students. Students may seek assistance from the Dean of Student Development, Dean of Students, or the Assistant Dean of Student Development. Learn more about them at the Student Development Deans page
Realizing that our corporate ministry potential under God is dependent upon our individual growth, gatherings of students, faculty and staff should be viewed as an integral component of the seminary curriculum and life. Such gatherings take a variety of forms (worship, fellowship, inspiration, instruction) and are held at various times and various locations.
The community events for 2013-2014 include, but are not limited to, the following:
- New Student Orientation: Thursday, August 29
- Fall Picnic: Saturday, September 21
- Married Couples Dinner: Friday, February 21
- Commencement Ceremonies: Saturday, April 26
You are invited to join faculty, staff and fellow students on these occasions to take advantage of these opportunities to be an active part of a worshiping, learning, and caring community.
Keep your eyes open for more student events throughout the year, advertised on the campus monitors and Portland students page of our website.